Thursday, December 14, 2006

Romney Out to Set the Record Straight

Governor Mitt Romney is out to make things clear on where he stands on social issues. He told National Review recently where he stands on these issues.

Romney on Gay Marriage
"Like the vast majority of Americans, I’ve opposed same-sex marriage, but I’ve also opposed unjust discrimination against anyone, for racial or religious reasons, or for sexual preference. Americans are a tolerant, generous, and kind people. We all oppose bigotry and disparagement. But the debate over same-sex marriage is not a debate over tolerance. It is a debate about the purpose of the institution of marriage and it is a debate about activist judges who make up the law rather than interpret the law."

Romney on Abortion
"My position has changed and I have acknowledged that. How that came about is that several years ago, in the course of the stem-cell-research debate I met with a pair of experts from Harvard. At one point the experts pointed out that embryonic-stem-cell research should not be a moral issue because the embryos were destroyed at 14 days. After the meeting I looked over at Beth Myers, my chief of staff, and we both had exactly the same reaction — it just hit us hard just how much the sanctity of life had been cheapened by virtue of the Roe v. Wade mentality. "

"What I would like to see is the Court return the issue to the people to decide."


1 comment:

Sir Galen of Bristol said...


"What I would like to see is the Court return the issue to the people to decide."


And if it does, on which side of the fight will we find Gov. Romney?

Visitors Since 9:16 PM EST. 12/11/2006: free web counter free web counter