Monday, October 01, 2007

McCain Prefers to Have a Christian President

Over the weekend Republican presidential candidate Sen. John McCain was asked during an interview with the religious website Beliefnet if a Muslim would be a good choice for president.

McCain responded by saying: "I just have to say in all candor that since this nation was founded primarily on Christian principles ... personally, I prefer someone who I know who has a solid grounding in my faith. But that doesn't mean that I'm sure that someone who is Muslim would not make a good president." He went onto say: "I would vote for a Muslim if he or she was the candidate best able to lead the country and defend our political values."

When asked if Mitt Romney's Mormon religion should be a determing factor in choosing the next president McCain said: "I think that Governor Romney's religion should not, absolutely not, be a disqualifying factor when people consider his candidacy for president of the United States."

No comments:

Visitors Since 9:16 PM EST. 12/11/2006: free web counter free web counter